Thursday, May 31, 2012

Read-Along: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett






Title: The Secret Garden
Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Harper Trophy (100 year Anniversary book)
Publish Date: First published in 1911
Source: Owned


Why Are You Reading This Book:

  • You're a classic lover.
  • You're looking to get in touch with your inner child.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Neglected Colin lives the life of a spoilt and incurable invalid until on the arrival of an orphaned cousin, the two children secretly combine to restore his mother's locked garden and Colin to health and his father's affection."

My Two Cents: 

One thing that I love about read-a-longs is that often times they give me a chance to either read a book I've been meaning to read or to re-read an old favorite. In the case of The Secret Garden, this is an old favorite. I never owned a copy of this book as a little one but I checked it out frequently from the library. I also really loved the movie that came out in the early 90s (is there anyone else out there that remembers the movie?).

This book was a joy to re-read. The story is very sweet. It's been a long time since I read this book so I had forgotten the order of how things happened and how the book ended. I loved being back with Dickon, my favorite character in the book (how cool would it be to be able to tame wild animals? Hah, that would be a childhood dream come true for me).

There is a good reason that this story is a classic and is still so beloved by so many. If you've read it already, read it again. I know you'll find more to love. If you haven't read it, you definitely need to read it next time you're looking for a lighter read!


  

11 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! This was my first time through the book (I listened to it on audio) and I thought it was so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one, way more than I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I remember that movie! I've never read the book though and now I think I'll be adding it to my TBR. Actually, come to think of it, I might have read a watered down version when I was younger. So yeah, re-reading this book sounds like an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved this book when I was little, but I haven't read it in years. Oddly, I can still remember it really well!

    I want to reread it, but I'm scared it won't as good to me as it was back then, if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally makes sense. But I think you will be pleasantly surprised of how much you like it this time around :)

      Delete
  5. glad to find we were reading along and now partying !
    a def 5 for me as well - sooo many positive reactions as i read it and insights into the era...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello.. I am also joining the Garden Party!! I love love this book and am glad to see you liked it too!

    Angie

    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...