Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Review: The Girl Who Wouldn't Die by Marnie Riches

Title: The Girl Who Wouldn't Die
Author: Marnie Riches
Format: Ebook
Source: Author



What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "HE’S WATCHING HER. SHE DOESN’T KNOW IT…YET

When a bomb explodes at the University of Amsterdam, aspiring criminologist Georgina McKenzie is asked by the police to help flush out the killer.

But the bomb is part of a much bigger, more sinister plot that will have the entire city quaking in fear.

And the killer has a very special part for George to play…"


My Two Cents:

"The Girl Who Wouldn't Die" is the story of Georgina, called George by very select friends, who falls into solving who bombed the library at the University of Amsterdam. A skilled criminologist, George is committed to solving the crime but she may soon find herself in the line of fire. This was a good thriller that kept me on my toes.

There is something about fall that makes me crave thrillers. I'm not one for scary horror stories but something about having your heart beat a little faster during this time of year. This book definitely fit the bill. Georgina is a character that you will fall for very quickly. She is sharp and imperfect but committed to a job well done. I loved following her through this story. There are also some great secondary characters like Ella.

The writing of the book is good. The thriller is well paced although it takes awhile to figure out how things come together and where the events are going. This book feels like a slow burn in the beginning but really heats up midway through. The book is told through three different lenses and at first, I was fixated on figuring out how they were all connected. All I have to say is that patience pays off and when they come together, they work great.

I also have to mention the setting of the book. So many times, the setting of a thriller is really just background. Here Amsterdam itself becomes a great character in of itself. I loved all of the detail and how you are able to picture Georgina's world because of it.

Overall, this was a good thriller. This is only the first book in the Georgina McKenzie series and I am looking forward to more!


 

1 comment:

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...