Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Review: Harvester by Rachel Russell

Title: Harvester
Author: Rachel Russell
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Entranced Publishing
Publish Date: March 17, 2014
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.


What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Sixteen-year-old Catalina has never seen the sky. As a mage, it’s illegal for her to leave the underground city she lives in. The sun and moon are only fantastical stories of a land far away. So when Catalina stumbles upon a tunnel leading to the surface, she can’t resist the temptation to see the surface world.

But instead of enjoying a night beneath the stars for the first time, Catalina emerges upon the scene of a savage murderer harvesting faery body parts. She's nearly his next victim, but is rescued by a grim boy named Will who has a troubling connection to the killer.

Even more disquieting is Catalina’s criminal status upon returning home. Someone with political clout has framed her for the vicious slayings. Now on the run from the law, Catalina must uncover Will’s tie to the serial killing of faeries, as well as stop a bloodthirsty murderer to prove her innocence, or face a death sentence.

My Two Cents: 

"Harvester" is the fantasy story of Catalina, a mage who cannot venture outside of her town. When she does, it sets off a whole course of events that will change her entire life. She is just starting to come into her own in this book and a lot of the story is about the trials and tribulations that she faces as she navigates this new world.

The strong point of this book for me was the world building. The author had a really nice way of introducing the world through the story without being too heavy handed. I love when fantasy books can make you feel like what it must be like to live in the world that the books take place in. This book definitely did that for me. I liked that Catalina's world had a sort of Asian feel (there were a lot of things that seemed to have been borrowed from Asian culture such as some of the spirits, what things were called, etc.). I thought this was a really nice touch.

The characters were a little flat for me. I wanted to know more about Catalina and the way that she worked. I also wondered the same about Will. What made them tick? This story is very much action driven, which I appreciated. I wanted to know more about them throughout the whole book.

Overall, this would be a good pick for when you're looking for a book that has a lot of world building and nicely paced action.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...