Monday, May 26, 2014

#ArmchairBEA2014 Day 1: Introductions

Introductions:

This is a Meg.
1. Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging? Where in the world are you blogging from? 

 I'm Meg and I have been blogging here at A Bookish Affair for about three years. I used to blog on Xanga (may she rest in peace) although that blog was not book focused! I live in the Washington, D.C. area, which is fabulous!

2. Describe your blog in just one sentence. Then, list your social details -- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. -- so we can connect more online. 

I think the slogan of my blog says it all: "Sometimes reading a good book can be like a great love affair!"

Here is where else you can find me:
Twitter: abookishaffair
Instagram: abookishaffair
Facebook: A Bookish Affair

3. What genre do you read the most? I love to read because ___________________ .

I read really eclectically but my favorite genre is probably historical fiction. I love history and I love how historical fiction can make history really accessible to so many people. Since starting to book blog, I've also joined the Historical Novel Society, which is a great place for people who love historical fiction (both readers and authors).

4. Share your favorite book or reading related quote. 

Easy!






5. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 books would you bring? Why? What 3 non-book items would you bring? Why? 

AHHHH! This is a really hard one! I would bring "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris, and maybe a book of all of the Harry Potter books (I mean, I couldn't just have one!).

As for non-book related things, a machine that could make umbrella drinks without electricity, a beach towel, and seeing how I currently have a bad sunburn from sitting outside at a baseball game yesterday, I would bring a gallon of sunscreen (hurray for gingers!).




27 comments:

  1. I've been reading your blog since last year and I never knew you were from DC! See, these Introductions are good for people who already know each other too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love learning something new about the people I already like ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Meg! New follower! I don't usually read much historical fiction, but I have found that when I do it makes history seem more real for me. So I completely agree with you about making it more accessible to others through fiction. Great point! And of course you'd have to take ALL the Harry Potter series.

    Intro & Lit
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love historical fiction too, although I've not read too much of it recently. I need to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a constant reader here actually so it's nice to see you here too!
    I thought about using that quote too!!

    Hope to see you around this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great quote... Looking forward to reading your posts this week

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for eclectic reading! :) I've been meaning to re-read Love in the Time of Cholera; I had greatly enjoyed reading One Hundred Years of Solitude but my reaction to LitToC wasn't as profound as I recall so it would be nice to revisit it :) Great intro! =D

    Day 1 @ on my blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GGM is one of my favorite writers. I'm so sad that he is gone!

      Delete
  7. Love that quote and that library, I could get lost in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me Talk Pretty One Day is a title that really stuck out at me. I've never heard of it, but it sounds really interesting! Have you reviewed it on this site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it way back in college so I haven't reviewed it on this blog. It is a hilarious book though! You should read it!

      Delete
  9. Xanga! I remember that site. That and Dead Journal (cause I thought I was somewhat goth in high school lol). I would need gallons of sunscreen as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I remember Dead Journal too. I never had one though!

      Delete
  10. Great to know more about you Meg. Would have loved to check out Xanga, but may she rest in peace. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the telephone booth photo, so cute! I'm a bit jealous that you live in D.C. I've only been once and it was for a super quick trip so I wasn't able to explore. Someday!

    I hope you have a great week and a great ABEA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love historical fiction and was thrilled to get to meet Eva Stachniak, one of my favorite authors, recently. She was so engaging and interesting!

    Looking forward to hearing more from you during this crazy week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoping you had fun at #ArmchairBEA! Nice to tweet you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I've ever read historical fiction. How do authors come up with new story lines since history is old? And where is the fine line between real history and make-believe? Just curious. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...