Monday, November 4, 2013

Review: Lies You Wanted to Hear by James Whitfield Thomson

Title: Lies You Wanted to Hear
Author: James Whitfield Thomson
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark
Publish Date: November 5, 2013 (Tomorrow!)
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a fiction fan.
  • You don't mind difficult subjects.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "When Lucy meets Matt on a blind date, Matt is instantly hooked; he sees Lucy as the fun, sexy, and wickedly smart girl of his dreams. Although she’s still getting over an old lover, Lucy is won over by Matt’s sweet, thoughtful nature. But 20 years later, alone in an empty house trying to imagine the lives of her two young children, Lucy comes to realize that the little lies you tell can create more damage than the truth you’re hiding."

My Two Cents:

"Lies You Wanted to Hear" is the story of the relationship of Matt, Boston cop and good guy, and tumultuous Lucy. We get to see their relationship from the time they fall for each other until they split up. This is really the story of how the decisions we make build on each other and if our decision is to lie, how those lies can turn into something that we never expected.

The characters were fascinating to me. At first, I thought that Lucy was the villain of the book and Matt was the suffering hero but Thomson challenged that idea over and over again throughout the entire book, which I liked. It definitely kept me on my toes. I did wonder a little bit about the motivations of the characters in some sections. Why did they make the decisions that they made when they could probably figure out just how badly they were going to hurt the other person beforehand. Was it just to be cruel? Were they really not thinking?

It's really hard for me to believe that this is Thomson's debut novel. One of the most outstanding this to me about this book was how real everything felt. You can picture the characters doing everything that they did in the book, no matter how gritty or heartbreaking. This book is an incredibly realistic look at how much we can hurt other people by not being upfront with each other.

This is an unflinching look at a dissolving relationship and I enjoyed it!


 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. In spite of your 3.5 rating, I am intrigued enough to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting, and I like the idea of seeing how and what made it all go wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...