Thursday, December 15, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Character vs. Plot


This week, Booking Through Thursday asks:  What’s more important to you? Real, three-dimensional, fleshed-out fascinating characters? Or an amazing, page-turning plot?

Oh boy, I'm not sure that I've had enough coffee yet this morning to deal with this question. This is definitely tough. I'm for balance in everything but if I had to choose, I guess I would rather read a plot driven book with characters you don't get to know very well than a character driven book with a super dry plot. I've read books where the characters are very real and fleshed out but if the plot isn't there, I'm not going to enjoy the book generally. All I can say is that luckily there is a plethora of books out there that have both great characters and great action!

What say you?

6 comments:

  1. I think you put it well. Like you, I don't know why I can't have both! But a books absolutely HAS to have a storyline, or I'm probably not going to enjoy it, now matter how warm and fuzzy the characters are. ( a discussion from my book club last week, LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, well balanced books are the best.
    My BTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think the consensus is...we want a balance of both.

    Here's MY THURSDAY MEMES POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  4. The balance of both is important.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/12/booking-through-thursday_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about balance, but then when I look at my favourite books, and the type pf books that I tend to love, few of them have that much plot to speak of, yet very vivid characters, so I guess that's what I prefer...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with on the balance issue. here is my BTT.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...