Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Around the World in 2019!






Introducing my new reading challenge for 2019 (and potentially beyond)! I am aiming to read a book from each country the Department of State recognizes, which is 195 countries! It's ambitious but in my quest to read more widely, I think this is a good one. I had an opportunity to travel a lot in 2018, which really piqued my interest in reading more about the places I've been as well as those that I have not visited yet.

Here are my rules:

  1. The book can be by an author from the country.
  2. The book can be set in the country.
  3. Where possible, I want to read more fiction than non-fiction because non-fiction books are so much easier to find when it comes to the less well-known countries. 
  4. Memoirs definitely count!
  5. Travel guides are cheating (again, they are too easy to find)! 
  6. It is okay for me to read books set in countries that are no longer called the particular name found on the Department of State's list (e.g. The Soviet Union counts for Russia, Rhodesia counts for Zimbabwe, etc.).
You can check out my progress here!

What reading challenges are you taking on this year?

1 comment:

  1. I’ve been doing this myself along with Howling Frog Books for a few years. It is a fun project. Good luck

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...