Thursday, March 31, 2016

Review: Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg

Title: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
Author: Sheryl Sandberg
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Knopf
Publish Date: March 11, 2013
Source: Owned



What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In is a massive cultural phenomenon and its title has become an instant catchphrase for empowering women. The book soared to the top of bestseller lists internationally, igniting global conversations about women and ambition. Sandberg packed theatres, dominated opinion pages, appeared on every major television show and on the cover of Time magazine, and sparked ferocious debate about women and leadership.

Ask most women whether they have the right to equality at work and the answer will be a resounding yes, but ask the same women whether they'd feel confident asking for a raise, a promotion, or equal pay, and some reticence creeps in.

The statistics, although an improvement on previous decades, are certainly not in women's favour – of 197 heads of state, only twenty-two are women. Women hold just 20 percent of seats in parliaments globally, and in the world of big business, a meagre eighteen of the Fortune 500 CEOs are women.

In Lean In, Sheryl Sandberg – Facebook COO and one of Fortune magazine's Most Powerful Women in Business – draws on her own experience of working in some of the world's most successful businesses and looks at what women can do to help themselves, and make the small changes in their life that can effect change on a more universal scale."


My Two Cents:

If you're a young woman in business, you probably heard of "Lean In" by Sheryl Sandberg. This is a book about women's success factors in the workplace, finding work life balance, and having a support system at work and at home in order to make success possible. It really hit home for me. I've always enjoyed working and it's definitely hard to find the elusive worklife balance. This book talks about how important it is for women to get involved in the workplace and to demand equality for equal work. Sandberg talks a lot about the importance of having a good support system at home in order to be successful in both work and life. It's a great read for those women looking for a little push!

This hit home for me as I believe all of the support that I've had at home has made me successful in what I have accomplished in my own life and what I'm able to accomplish at work. Overall, I found this book to be a good inspiration for a lot of the things that I've been thinking about and going through at work. I recommend this book to other young women in the workplace who are looking for strategies to drive them further and help them soar higher.


 

1 comment:

  1. I want to read this, esp now that I have my baby and am struggling with work/life balance. I've loved the excerpts I've read, and I'm really glad to see you enjoyed it, too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...