Thursday, April 25, 2019

Double Feature Review: Best Hikes Washington, D.C. and Best Hikes Baltimore

Titles: Best Hikes Washington, D.C. and Best Hikes Baltimore
Authors: Bill Burnham and Heather Connellee
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Falcon Press Publishing
Publish Date: April 1, 2019
Source: Publisher






What's the Story?:

From Goodreads for Washington, D.C.: "In Best Hikes Washington, DC authors Bill and Mary Burnham detail the best hikes within about an hour's drive of downtown, hikes perfect for the urban and suburbanite hard-pressed to find great outdoor activities close to home. Each featured hike includes detailed hike specs and descriptions, trailhead location and GPS coordinates, mile-by-mile directional cues, gorgeous full-color photography, and a detailed map."

From Goodreads for Baltimore: "It's not necessary to travel far from home for a great hike. With these information-packed guides in hand, readers have everything they need for the adventure they seek, from an easy nature walk to a multiday backpacking trip. Each hike includes: location, length, hiking time, level of difficulty, and if dogs can come along. Other features include: -Trail finder chart that categorizes each hike (e.g. for particular attractions such as scenic views and if it's suitable for families with kids) -Full-color photos throughout -Information on the area's history, geology, flora, and fauna -Full-color maps of each trail"

My Two Cents: 

Here in the DMV area, we often have very short springs. Cold, icy winters seem to melt into hot, sticky summers much too quickly. Luckily this year we are actually getting a real spring and it is making me want to get outside as much as I possibly can. These guides make me want to escape even more! Today, I am so happy to be able to introduce you to Falcon Press Publishing's "Best Hikes" series. I am reviewing both the guide for Washington, D.C. and Baltimore. These are fantastic guides that have full-color, lovely pictures, and easy to navigate maps.

I live outside of D.C. and went to college outside of Baltimore and still visit quite frequently. I also have the tendency to visit the same places over and over again when it comes to spending time outside with my family (I very much have a 'if it ain't broke, why fix it' mentality when it comes to exploring things). There are still so many places that I haven't explored! These books are definitely making me want to break out of that rut!

I love how easy these books make it to find really wonderful hikes that cater to all levels of hikers. I also really like the hints and tips sprinkled throughout the books - that's a really nice touch. I know these are going to be books that have a prominent place on my shelves that I revisit over and over again. These are also going to be the books that I thrust into the hands of anyone that comes to visit us and wonders how best to see all of the amazing places in this area! I know I definitely want to check out some of the other Best Hikes titles for places a little bit further from home! These are wonderful guides and now you can see exactly what I'll be doing with my family this spring and summer! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...