The wonderful thing about HNS is that I was surrounded by amazing people who are just as excited as I was about books, historical fiction, history, and a litany of other literary-minded pursuits. Everywhere I turned, there were people that I wanted to meet and talk with. It was so great to be amongst so many fantastic people.
My head is still spinning with everything I experienced and I'm still mulling over everything I heard. This conference was so energizing!
Some of my favorite memories from the conference were:
- Hanging out with other bookish people. Seriously, it's hard to find people that get as excited about books as I do. To be at a conference filled with people of that persuasion was amazing!
- Happening to be on the same flight as Stephanie Dray and Eliza Knight both ways (how did that happen???)!
- I spoke on my very first panel ever! I have been on a mission to get over my fear of public speaking so I have been really trying to push myself to do things that I wouldn't normally do. Speaking on a panel was definitely one of them. I spoke about Trends in Women's Historical fiction with literary agent Kevan Lyon and authors, Kate Quinn and Eliza Knight. Sophie Perinot moderated for us. We had a packed room and a lively discussion! I couldn't ask for anything more!
|Here's our panel: Sophie, Kevan, Kate, Eliza, and me!|
- Getting books signed! I was really good this year and only bought a few books! I can't wait to dive into them!
- Karen Cushman was one of the honored guests at the conference. She wrote "Catherine Called Birdy" and many other YA HistFic books. Catherine has a special place in my heart because aside from the American Girls Doll books, "Catherine Called Birdy" was probably the first histfic book I ever read. I got a copy of Catherine signed for my Katherine and Hadley. Usually I just have to say Katherine with a K and people get it. Hadley seems to be more difficult. I started spelling Hadley and Ms. Cushman stopped me and said "Oh, like Mrs. Hemingway!" These are so my people!!!
- Hanging out with bloggers! I actually had a lot of time to hang out with other bloggers this time around. I loved meeting Erin of Flashlight Commentary and Jenny of Let Them Read Books for the first time among others. I also loved seeing and visiting with Amy of Passages to the Past, Heather of The Maiden's Court, and Sarah of Reading the Past (sad I didn't get to spend more time with you, Sarah). These are people that I interact a lot with online so it was so nice to see them in real life! They are really amazing people!
- We also had a really good showing from my local HNS Chesapeake Bay chapter! I even found two new members that had no idea that our chapter existed! Woot!
|Many of us gathered for drinks and merriment on Friday night!|
All in all though, the conference was really fantastic. The 2016 conference will be held in Oxford, England but unless I win the lottery, I don't think I will be going to that conference. The next conference in North America will happen in 2017 and I cannot wait!!!