Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Review: Just My Typo: From "Sinning with the Choir" to "the Untied States" by Drummond Moir

Title: Just My Typo: From "Sinning with the Choir" to "the Untied States"
Author: Drummond Moir
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Three Rivers Press
Publish Date: July 8, 2014
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.






What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "From the sublime to the ridiculous, Just My Typo is a hilarious collection of typographical errors, slips of the pen and embarrassing misprints which, like any typo of any kind, should never have happened, cannot be excused, and must not in any way be glorified. Enjoy.

You’ll travel back in time to meet great figures from history: Sir Francis Drake (who circumcised the world in a small ship), Queen Victoria (who pissed graciously over the Menai Bridge), and Rambo (the famous French poet).

You’ll find moral instruction (‘Blessed are the meek, for they shall irrigate the earth’) and pearls of wisdom (‘love is just a passing fanny’).

You’ll be outraged by politicians who exploit disasters to boost their pubic profiles; entranced by lambs that gamble in the fields; concerned for a man who was admitted to hospital suffering from severe buns; and appalled to meet 11-year-old twins Helen and Ugh."


My Two Cents:

"Just My Typo" is a funny collection of typos. Some of them I have seen before (typos seem to be popular viral fodder for the internet) but some of them were brand new to me and were very funny. We readers and writers are a funny breed. We love the written word and when the written word goes wrong, something poignant can easily turn into something that is either hilarious, embarrassing, or both. This book is a collection of an editor's worst nightmare!

This book is perfect for those who like to read and to write. I do a little of both and I also love editing. If you don't have a good editor, you may miss something that totally changes the meaning of what you're writing. It was fascinating to me to see how many small mistakes totally changed what was being said. Some of the mistakes I laughed pretty hard at!

I could see this being for a really great gift book for the reader, writer, or editor in your life! Very funny!


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...