Friday, January 24, 2014

Review: Shopaholic & Sister by Sophie Kinsella

Title: Shopaholic & Sister
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Format: Audiobook
Publisher: The Dial Press
Publish Date: 2004
Source: Library






What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "What’s a round-the-world honeymoon if you can’t buy the odd souvenir to ship back home? Like the Chinese urns and twenty silk dressing gowns Becky found in Hong Kong…the five kilim rugs from Turkey…the splendid hand-carved dining table (and ten chairs) from Sri Lanka…the, um, huge wooden giraffes from Malawi (that her husband Luke expressly forbade her to buy)…

Only now Becky and Luke have returned home to London and Luke is furious. Two truckloads of those souvenirs have cluttered up their usually immaculate loft, and the bills for them are outrageous. Becky’s even maxed out on her second secret credit card, and she doesn’t have a new job yet!

Luke insists she go on a budget. And worse: her beloved best friend Suze has found a new best friend while Becky was away. Becky’s feeling rather blue—when her parents deliver some incredible news. She has a long-lost sister! Becky is thrilled! She’s convinced her sister will be a true soulmate. They’ll go shopping together, drink cappuccinos together, have manicures together, and watch their favorite videos together.

Until she meets Jessica for the first time and gets the shock of her life. Surely Becky Bloomwood’ s sister can’t…hate shopping?"


My Two Cents:

"Shopaholic and Sister" is the fourth book in the Shopaholic series. While it isn't necessary to read the previous three books (you will get the fourth book without reading them), you may appreciate the book a little bit more if you read the other books as you will have a better understanding and appreciation for the characters in the book.

In this book, Becky, the Shopaholic, discovers that her parents may be hiding the fact that she has a secret sister. After a minor falling out with her best friend and a possible falling out with her husband, Luke, Becky is sure that she is going to be best friends with her newly found half-sister. As with the previous Shopaholic books, hilarity ensues! I continue to enjoy this series because it is so funny.

Becky is totally unlike me (I am pretty conservative when it comes to shopping and spending money) but I love living vicariously through her. She is definitely a loveable character that you will find yourself rooting for throughout the book. These books are a lot of fun and great for when you are looking for a light read that will thoroughly entertain you.

I listened to this book through audiobook through my local library. This was a great choice as an audiobook. I find that I can't really listen to books that are too serious unless they are absolutely engaging in every single way because I'm usually listening at the gym and well, I sort of want to take my mind off of the fact that I'm at the gym. This book definitely had me chuckling to myself.

Overall, this is a great light read!

2 comments:

  1. I love Sophie Kinsella - always a fun read. This wasn't my favorite book of hers, but I still enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just a really fun series! Kinsella's books are great books to just relax with!

      Delete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...